Switching Schools After Moving To Ohio

Moving can be a long, involved process comprised of many steps. While you may be familiar with the requirements for moving, including hiring a reputable moving company like American Way Van & Storage to safely and affordably transport your items, there can be additional concerns for parents, especially when moving children out of one school district and into another. 

Most students are assigned to public schools based on zoning, meaning that when you move cities or states, your children will generally be allowed to register for free at specific public schools based on your new zip code or address. Alternatively, some parents enroll their children in local private schools, which accept students based on priority and usually charge annual tuition for accepted students. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there are nearly 99,000 public schools in the United States. There are only 33,000 private schools, so no matter which option you choose for your kids, it is best to research the educational opportunities available to your children before moving. 

Once you have decided what kind of school your child will attend, moving forward with the registration process on time is essential. You may ask yourself: What do I need to register my kid for school?

Registering for a New School After Moving

The registration process for public schools differs based on state and district. If you have moved with the help of American Way Van & Storage and are local to the Dayton, OH area, then you will need to follow the rules and regulations for school registration according to the state of Ohio. Local educational agencies (LEAs) in the form of Ohio require the following documentation for student enrollment: 

  • Proof of residency in the school district—there are different kinds of documents that can be used to establish residency. Documents include a copy of a lease agreement for a home or apartment in the school district with the parent or guardian’s name listed, an addressed utility bill with the appropriate parent or guardian’s name accurately recorded, a receipt showing rent paid on a home in the school district, or a current tax receipt showing home ownership of a property in the school district.
  • Proof that any student under 18 lives with a parent or guardian who resides in the school district—this could come in the form of a child birth certificate or court documentation of guardianship.
  • Immunization records 

Starting at a New School

Once you have registered your child at the new school, enrollment and settling in begins. The enrollment process could complicate this process for a student, especially one who has moved cities, states, or school districts after attending another school. You must encourage your child during this transitional process by discussing the new school with positive terminology. Ensure your child has appropriate school supplies and help them adjust to the realities of making new friends by encouraging them to socialize with their peers. 

Helping Kids Cope with Moving

Several strategies to consider when helping your child adjust to a new school. Firstly, you should acknowledge the difficulties of moving and transitioning to a new routine. It is essential to admit the challenges while remaining optimistic about the possibilities associated with the move. Please keep an open dialogue with your child by encouraging them to come to you with any problems during the transition process. It would be best if you also tried to spend quality time with your child during the transitional period, and you want to make sure you maintain old routines as much as possible and encourage your child’s engagement in hobbies. Click here if you are adjusting to a mid-school year move.

Moving to Dayton, OH

Are you looking for a reputable moving service local to the Dayton, OH, area? American Way Van & Storage is a full-service moving company with over 90 years of experience. Call us at 937-898-7294 or get your free, no-obligation moving quote online. Are you moving away from Ohio? Click here to visit our friends at National Van Lines, our partner for long distance moves!


Have you already moved and are now knee-deep in home improvement projects? Check out McCarthy Transfer & Storage’s guide to installing a ceiling fan.

Leave a Reply